JAMES A. HARTSHORN
ROCHESTER -- James A. Hartshorn, 79, of Rochester died at home Saturday, Feb. 19, 2005. He was the husband of Marion Davis Hartshorn; they were married 46 years.
He was the son of the late Florence M. and George T. Hartshorn of Norwood.
He graduated from Tufts College with a degree in electrical engineering.
Mr. Hartshorn served aboard the USS Randall during World War II and the USS John Hood during the Korean War. He retired after 27 years as a lieutenant commander,
For 14 years he was senior apparatus engineer for Line Material Industries. He had worked for subsidiaries of the New England Electric Association and had been superintendent of electric operations for New Bedford Gas & Edison Light Co.
He had been deputy project manager for the electrical design of Jubail Industrial City, manager of Saudi Arabian client relations for Charles T. Main Co., deputy general manager for Yanbu Desalination Electric Generation and Distribution and construction business manager for Rabigh 1000 MW fossil electric generating plant.
He retired in 1988 as senior section head for facility acceptance and warranty control at Yanbu Industrial City.
He had lived in Ireland and Saudi Arabia and traveled around the world with his wife five times.
He had been chairman of the Acton Community Fund and the Electric Council of NE Electric Systems Committee, junior warden of St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church, loaned executive to the New Bedford Community Fund, president of the Marion Horse Show, secretary of the Mattapoisett Power Squadron, treasurer of the Rochester Republican Town Committee and member of the Beverly Yacht Club, Pythagorean Masonic Lodge and St. Gabriel's choir. He was involved in the Friendship Tables.
Survivors include his widow; two sons, David W. Pierson of Rochester and Mark E. Hartshorn of Wareham; a daughter, Victoria G. Terra of Lopez Island, Wash.; five granddaughters; and one great-grandson.
There will be no funeral service.
Arrangements are by Dyer-Lake Funeral Home, 161 Commonwealth Ave., Village of Attleboro Falls, North Attleboro.